Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Harvesting Stuff...Again...and Again...Full-time Work!


It's been a couple weeks since we acquired these pineapple tops and I have had them sitting in water growing roots. Now they are ready to plant. The only problem is that I don't have an area prepared to plant them in, and unlike bananas and lechosa these are in for at least a year.

So I meandered around looking for a spot to prepare and ran into some parcha on the ground which I gathered and brought in. They are colossal! This isn't a quail egg next to it, it is a chicken egg!

Since it was hot out I decided to process the old parcha before putting the new ones into the fruit bowl. We already had juice, so I put the concentrate into ice cube trays for when we need it. When they are frozen I'll dump the cubes into baggies.

This is something we haven't tried yet - something in the Anon family (like Corazones). I'll touch it and when it is soft pick it and try it. If we don't like them we'll cut them down (2 trees) since they are not in the best location. One is too close to the Achiote and the other is close to the Aquacate and Corazon.

I finally decided to dig up the yucca and put the pineapples there. So I did that and found more parcha (we have parcha in 4 spots in the yard). I also ran into a calabaza which we discovered when Jeff weedwhacked.

Gotta eat the carambolas. The tree is already blooming again and the fruit is totally ripe.

I'll make a carambola cake...the little slices are floating in a brown sugar/melted butter/passionfruit juice (from the fruit and not sweetened) syrup.

Now the batter.

Flip it over after 30 minutes of baking and it is a buttery, sweet cake great with coffee!

2 comments:

Fran and Steve said...

Despite having lived in PR for about 17 years, I had not even seen a carambola until I started reading about them on your blog (I'm a city girl). It's something I'm now looking forward to. The coffee cake looks yummy. Fran

Anonymous said...

Oh wow kind of like pineapple upside down cake -how neat!